Wednesday 21 March 2012

Spring has Sprung!

I think I'm rather late in posting this, as it seems Spring has been here for some time here in NE Scotland.  Such a mild season. 

However, these pretty little delicate creatures have been finding it difficult to hibernate.  I have had to feed a few of them as they kept waking mid season.  I have been quite worried about them, so had to do some internet research to find out what to do when they wake too early.  So, I fed them sugary water and put them in to boxes. 

They are now waking and have released six to the outside world lately.  These Tortoiseshell butterflies are so colourful. It wouldn't surprise me if there were fewer of them this spring/summer, due to the mild weather we have been having.  If they wake too early, they use too much of their food store for energy.

Kathryn, Lazy Daisy Glass xx

No comments: